[RTC List] Net-neutrality sold out by 74 Democrats in Congress

Travis Finch tf at velotech.net
Sun Jun 6 22:49:55 PDT 2010

Since the internet is becoming a "required service," does that mean
companies should no longer have the right to enforce what travels
across their networks?  Obviously, companies would want to provide
the best experience to their customers to keep them happy and keep
them paying, or risk losing them to competition.  If that means some
people can't use BitTorrent or some other service so that the
majority of subscribers can enjoy their internet experience, what is
the issue?  I recently switched from AT&T Wireless to Verizon
Wireless because I wasn't allowed to tether to the phone.  AT&T did
this because they want me to use the phone for "light" internet
traffic, not bigger desktop or laptop downloads.  If I pay more for a
dedicated wireless modem, they are happy to oblige.  It really comes
down to a network management issue.  Now, don't get me wrong, I feel
like I should be able to do whatever I want with my phone, but I
agreed to AT&T's terms, so I either live with it, or take my money
elsewhere.

I realize that BitTorrent is not a DoS attack, but it congests
networks in the same way.  Blocking or throttling BitTorrent
indiscriminately is not the same as content blocking.  Providers
don't care what the BitTorrent is being used for, they care that the
floods of packets are crippling their networks and degrading the
customer experience.  Would it be better if the providers dive into
every packet that crosses their networks to determine who it's from
or to and if it's a good packet or a bad packet?  I think there are
bigger privacy implications there.  I don't think consumers would be
very happy if they found out every packet was being parsed and
analyzed to determine its legitimacy.  I don't think internet service
providers want to become any more involved than they have to, I know
I don't; it doesn't make good business sense.  Scarier still is ACTA,
which could potentially force service providers to be cyber police.

If AT&T, Verizon, and St. Joe's hospital all conspired to only allow
calls to St. Joe's hospital, I would think anyone who might want to
call another hospital wouldn't want service from AT&T or Verizon.
Again, it would be bad business.  Why did you dump Dish?  Because it
didn't have what you wanted at a price you were willing to pay.  I
would like to see a citation from Sean, if possible, on the AT&T
video blocking and Verizon text blocking.

I found this interesting study regarding Google's bandwidth usage and
costs: http://www.netcompetition.org/
study_of_google_internet_usage_costs2.pdf  I think it brings to light
what is at the heart of the whole net neutrality debate, and
coincidentally, parallels my highway analogy.  The site itself offers
opinions from both viewpoints.  Here is a link to some of DMV's
commercial fees: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/fees/weight_over.htm

Company X has every right to charge Google for the privilege of
traversing its network, though more likely, Company X would be
approaching Foo instead to ask for more money, which Foo would then
pass on to Google.  Trying to invoice Google directly would just
complicate things.

I won't delve too deeply into the Jim Crow issue, but here are some
links with examples of various state laws:
http://academic.udayton.edu/race/02rights/jcrow02.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Jim_Crow_law_examples_by_State
One would be hard-pressed to not be viewed as racist or
discriminatory if the law required one to be so.  The "racist
business owners" didn't make the laws.

I think in a way, the USDA stickers do stop consumers from doing
research.  It doesn't "prevent" them from doing the research, per-se,
but the consumer feels "safe" enough to not look any further.
Personally, if I see something with "USDA Organic" on it, I just
throw it into my shopping cart without a second thought, but really,
I should be doing more research.  Think of all the tainted hamburger
that has made people sick over the years that probably had USDA
stickers on it.  I for one, buy locally, where I can go and see the
happy cow or chicken grazing in the field and actually speak to the
person who will butcher that animal, and even tour the facilities if
I choose.